12-step checklist for hiring your next employee
Hiring new employees can be extremely time-consuming, but it’s important if you want to grow your business. If you get the process right, you’ll ensure you hire the right people. And if you look after your employees, they’ll stay with you longer and your business will perform better.
Here are 12 steps to follow before you hire your next employee:
- Create a clear job description
- Determine who will be interviewing and recruiting
- Ensure you have captured for the new employee information such as their IRD Number, Tax Code etc
- Maintain accurate employee time sheet records
- Understand your tax obligations as an Employer
- Remember key dates and tasks
- Obtain and display posters/information about employee rights
- Obtain Employers insurance
- Set up the new employee in your payroll system
- Keep a separate file for each employee
- Make it easy for your employees to access employment leave forms/details using mobile phone apps connected to your payroll system
- Be clear about your goals and expectations for the new employee.
Don’t forget to think about how you will retain and reward excellent work. There are many ways to do this other than salary and wages, like offering incentives and non-financial rewards.